I've been busy! I've been busy! Here is a pair of socks that I made:
I originally bought the yarn to make a pair of socks for Giselle, since I made a pair for Peggy one Christmas, but G likes black. This yarn seemed red, after I got it home. It languished in the stash for a while - couldn't use it for anyone in Indiana because of the wool content! I prefer more cheery yarn to knit for my socks. And maybe I could talk myself into thinking G would like it. Then my sister sent me a surprise from California - fresh strawberries! My sister thinks highly of strawberries as a gift - she brought them to us in Northern Ireland, even after the airport guy found them. Those were from our mother's garden. He must have been a soft-touch because he let the potentially lethal fresh fruit through. So I wasn't surprised to find the big juicy berries, packed in an egg carton in the overnight UPS package. The gift made sense.
My sister deserved a surprise back - I told her I was going to make her a pair of socks, though, because I needed her foot measurement. She didn't send this to me, but I remember that we wore basically the same size shoe, although different in taste. I was happy that the self-patterning yarn created such an obvious pattern. Recent forays into self-patterning yarn were defeated by not observing the correct gauge/needle size (chicken or the egg? I find out at the gauge workshop at Nana's Knits
But my sister doesn't know she gets lumberjack socks. You might notice that one sock ends with a grey stripe. You know that one foot is a different size? That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Just so you know how seriously I took these socks, I made them from the top down. I really like the toe-up method but the two pairs I have made using that method don't have a gusset - the area of the sock where the decreases happen to ease the heel back into the flow towards the toe or would ease it into the ankle. There is a poof of sock that doesn't lie flat - or maybe that is because I didn't block the socks. I just thought of that because when I went to get the blue socks that I also made since last posting, to take a picture for the blog, there isn't that poof, maybe because I wore them recently. Hmm - gauge and blocking. Maybe these chores are useful after all.
And to end with the other half of this blog:
Someone put this baby seat in the laundry room, for general give-away. Oz liked to sit in it, chilling while away from the rest of the family so we brought it upstairs. There's nothing listed saying it has to be picked up by a family with a baby! Oz won't have anything to do with it but now Lupin and Dingle like to take their naps in it - the winner gets to it first.